Poetic License

 Taking One for the Team

We practiced together,
sweat and stained.
We pummeled each other
and laughed off pain.
Teams may disagree,
may tease,
may blame.
Teams may bicker and whine,
but get down for the game.

You had my back.
We fought the fight.
And though our score
was less last night,
we're walking tall.
Our team came through
and stuck together like Crazy Glue.
I'm proud to say
I lost with you.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/58548/taking-one-for-the-team

 The message I took away from reading this poem was a college team or in my situation my softball team at Florida SouthWestern. Right off the bat, the first line stuck out because we practice as a team for six days a week. We have gone through conditioning, lifts, and hours of practice with each other but at the end of the day, we all went through it. We all struggled during the day at some point. We have had our differences throughout the day. We are all on the same team and we treat each other like family because we are. We do not get to pick our teammates or who our roommates are and playing a college sport you are forced to accept everyone no matter what the situation is. We are one unit. I love the second part of this poem because I relate to it with my team.  The Lyric I get from the second part of this poem is that no matter what we are a team and we have each other backs. Personally, that means a lot to me having that respect for someone over anything they did to you and still having their back is what makes teams so close. A metaphor I found in this poem was, " and stuck together like Crazy Glue" and this sentence could not be more true about a college team because of the fact that we all live together, practice together, eat together, and just be together as a team. We are really stuck like glue with our teammates. The diction I found in this poem was the ending, in my opinion, lost without someone hit you a little different than saying I need this person or I want this person in my life. Being lost without someone means like the person made some commitment to the team and if they were to leave it like you have a missing piece of the puzzle. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drive to the Beach : Plotting

Not seen on TV

Hamlet: Act 1- Scene 5